More than 100 million Americans are living with diabetes, a chronic illness that increases the risk of heart disease, nerve damage, and premature death. At PharmXhealthOne wellness center with convenient locations in Boynton Beach, Florida, the team uses conservative, holistic measures to treat, manage, and in some instances, reverse diabetes. To schedule an appointment, call the nearest office and speak with a friendly staff member or book online today.
What is diabetes?
Diabetes is a group of diseases that cause abnormally high blood sugar levels. Everyone needs some blood sugar to survive as it fuels your brain and provides energy for the muscles throughout your body. However, if your blood sugar levels are too high for an extended period of time, it increases your risk of serious health problems.
Unfortunately, many people with diabetes don’t realize there’s a problem. In its early stages, diabetes presents very few symptoms, which is why regular physical exams are so important.
Are there different types of diabetes?
There are several types of diabetes, including:
- Type 1 diabetes - Type 1 diabetes, or juvenile diabetes, occurs when your pancreas doesn’t produce insulin. Insulin is a hormone responsible for regulating blood sugar. There’s no cure for Type 1 diabetes, but with a custom treatment plan, it’s possible to manage symptoms and prevent it from getting worse.
- Type 2 diabetes - Type 2 diabetes is a type of diabetes that occurs due to insulin resistance. This means your pancreas produces insulin, but your body doesn’t use it accordingly. Type 2 diabetes usually responds to conservative, holistic measures of care, like eating a balanced diet, exercising regularly, and managing stress levels.
- Pre-diabetes - Pre-diabetes occurs when your blood sugar levels are high, but not high enough to trigger the onset of diabetes. Without prompt intervention and treatment, pre-diabetes almost always results in Type 2 diabetes.
How is diabetes diagnosed?
To diagnose diabetes, your PharmXhealthOne provider conducts a physical exam, reviews your medical history, and asks about your lifestyle and symptoms. After gathering this information, your provider orders a comprehensive blood panel and a glycated hemoglobin (A1C) test.
An A1C test measures your average blood sugar levels for the past two or three months. If your A1C levels are 6.5% or higher on two separate tests, it indicates you have diabetes.
How is diabetes treated?
At PharmXhealthOne, the team takes a holistic, integrative approach to treating diabetes. To do this, they offer free diabetic education classes through the HATT Foundation. Post-class, the team helps you treat, control, and manage your diabetes.
Depending on the type of diabetes you have, they might recommend:
- Nutrition therapy
- Fitness training
- Blood testing
- Medically supervised weight loss
- Hormone replacement therapy
- Custom meal plans
Your PharmXhealthOne provider develops a custom care plan that helps you reach your goals regarding diabetes. This might include one, two, or several of the previously listed treatments.
To explore your treatment options for diabetes, schedule an appointment at PharmXhealthOne. Call the nearest office and speak with a friendly staff member or book a consultation online today.